Individual Chicken Pot Pies with Biscuits
– Olive Oil cooking spray
– 1lb chicken breasts skinned – diced
– 1 large yellow onion
– 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
– 4 tsp fresh thyme – minced
– 2T whole wheat flour
– Fresh ground pepper
– ¾ cup skim milk
– 2 ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar
– 2 cups plus 2 tsp whole wheat flour
– 1T baking powder
– 1 tsp soda
– ¼ tsp sea salt (optional)
– 1T safflower or olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F
2. Prepare filling: heat a large cast iron or ovenproof nonstick pan over medium-high hear for one minute. Mist with cooking spray. Sauté chicken until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
3. Add onion and carrots. Sauté until onion is slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add peas and sauté for 1 minute or until thawed.
4. Stir in broth and thyme and cook until broth is warmed, about 2 minutes. Stir in 2T of flour and reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly until broth is thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with pepper and turn off heat, but do not remove pan from element.
5. Begin preparing biscuits: Pour milk in a cup, then add vinegar to milk. Let stand for two minutes.
6. In a large mixing bowl, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt (optional). Stir in milk-vinegar mixture, a quarter cup at a time. Add oil and then add remaining 2T flour. (The dough will be slightly sticky. If it’s too sticky, add another T or 2 of flour.)
7. Using your hands, four 12 small biscuits about 2 inches in diameter. (You can dust your hands with a little bit of flour to make this easier.) Ladle chicken-veggie mixture into 4 large ramekins, individual casserole dishes or soup tureens, about three-quarters of a cup per serving. Place 3 biscuits on top of each ramekin and place all ramekins onto a cookie sheet or baking pan lined with aluminum foil. (The biscuits will bake on top of the chicken-veggie mixture.) Place pan on rack in middle of oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until chicken-veggie mixture is bubbling and biscuits are slightly browned on top.
I got this recipe from a Coach of mine, Emily who found it in the Clean Eating Recipe Book.
*The biscuits were really good!! I will make these again with chili!- Emily