Many People ask me what I eat and recently I stopped eating meat (just to try something new and the site of chicken made me ill- don’t know why!) SO with that being said it has been hard for me to get my protein in, but I manage to eat a protein and a complex carb at each meal! I stay consistent with
what I eat, meaning I will eat the same thing for 5-6 days a week and switch the other days up!
A Typical Day For ME:
5:45a Wake up and Workout
Post Workout: Drink Results and Recovery
Snack #1: 5 egg whites with hot sauce and 1/2 cup of salsa
Lunch: Salad with unlimited veggies (peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers) and a bean (garbonzo, kidney, black, navy, pinto)
Snack #2: 2 cups of carrots or cucumbers and a TBSP of Hummus OR a handful of Mixed Unsalted Nuts
Snack #3: Grapefruit OR Protein Bar
*** I stick to 2 fruits a day, and if I don’t workout in the AM I skip the oatmeal and eat my egg whites and salsa for breakfast and Snack #1 will be 2 rice cakes with a TBSP of Natural PB or Almond Butter
How do you find a healthy diet balance without feeling ilke you are doing without?
* PLAN– You have to prepare and plan. Don’t go to the grocery store hungry but think through when, how and what you want to eat for the week. Make a list of exactly what you need and make a weekly event (or daily, or bi-weekly, whatever works!) and stick to your list.
* Have BACK UP PLANS– Sometimes meetings go longer then expected, traffic delays stop us, reservations and friends run late… ALWAYS have healthy options stashed in your bag, your car, your desk… Go to snacks on hand are a MUST to help you avoid the office candy stash or quick fast food runs! Examples of healthy things to stash are almonds, protein bars, apples, protein shakes, tuna packets and string cheese. These are GREAT to have on hand.
* EAT FREQUENTLY! Don’t ever let yourself get to “starving” and don’t ever let yourself get “uncomfortably stuffed.” Eating small meals 5-6 times a day keeps your blood sugar regulated, your hunger at bay and keeps your body working as a fat burning machine!
* EAT balanced meals. Make sure all of your meals contain a balance of healthy carbs, healthy fats and proteins. Take a look at my “what I eat” for examples.
* Don’t deprive! It is ok to have your favorite foods as long as you don’t over-do it! I LOVE chocolate and definitely have some most days. the key word is “some.” One small piece of dark chocolate satisfies the craving if I have eaten balanced meals the rest of the day.
* CHEAT MEALS If you LOVE ice-cream, pizza, whatever… plan a day where you allow yourself to have your favorite meal ONE day a WEEK- no more than that one meal. But have the REAL thing in a normal portion and do it just that day. If you cheat but have “fake alternatives” you will still crave the real thing and feel deprived!
* Apply the 80/20 rule. If you do what is right 80% of the time, majority rules!