1. Anti-cancer benefits. A large study about a year ago showed that people who kept their vitamin D3 levels above 55 ng/ml would have a 50% reduction in their risk of stomach, lung,colon, breast and prostate cancer. No side effects and a very cost-effective way to reduce cancer risk.
2. Immune modulation – I routinely find very low levels of this vitamin in patients with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. Clinical improvement can occur when the level is restored to normal.
3. Regulate hormones – women with polycystic ovary syndrome who are not menstruating usually get a return to normal period cycling and become fertile when I include Vitamin D in my treatment approach.
4. Insulin effects – studies with Vitamin D and calcium have shown these two can reduce your risk of diabetes.
5. Asthma – children supplemented with adequate Vitamin D show improvements in their asthma, presumably because of it’s immune effects.
6. Arthritic & fibromyalgia pain – research supports the testing of vitamin D and use in high enough doses to reduce the pain of arthritis and fibromyalgia up to 50%.
7. Flu – it has been known for years that flu outbreaks are highest in countries with least winter sunshine. Research into the ability of Vitamin D to improve your resistance to H1N1 (swine) flu is going on now.
These are just some of the many benefits already established for Vitamin D3.